Author Topic: Followups and sequences  (Read 3313 times)

don1

• View Profile
Followups and sequences
« on: July 31, 2005, 02:24:40 am »
This allows you to delete messages in sequence without re-numbering. I still haven't been able to allow you to ADD followups this way, though.

Hi Dean,

I am not quite sure what you are referring to exactly...BUT... :idea:

I would like to be able to ADD followups BETWEEN existing followups.  For example, let's say I have a list with 50 followup emails already written and sequenced.  But now I found a way to improve the effectiveness of my marketing with a "new and improved-added" followup.

I want to add this followup "between" sequence numbers 25 and 26, sort of 25a...is there a way to do  this right now...or will there be a way soon?

I do not want to REPLACE a followup, I want to add to an existing series.

Thanks for any help!

Don

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Followups and sequences
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 09:19:15 pm »
Unfortunately, there is not currently a way to do this - it is what I was alluding to in my previous post.

I am interested in implementing this feature, but would like to solicit some input as to how existing users on existing followups should act.

It seems simple, really:

1) Users on a followup BEFORE the one added proceed as normal, receiving the new followup in turn.

2) Users on a followup AFTER the one added proceed as normal and never receive the new message.

I don't know why I didn't implement this before. :-)

The only problem now is the followup sequence #.  These should probably be "re-arranged" each time you add a new followup.  That, or the numbers "1", "2", "3", etc could become cosmetic, storing the actual "order" of followups in a new table.  With a change like this users' Seq #s would not necessarily increase in order.

What about a feature to move followups up and down in sequence?  I couldn't recommend you do this on live lists...  The only way I can see to avoid problems with moving messages around is by storing the messages received for each user and skipping already sent messages..  I am hesitant to track this data as it will take up a lot of extra database space. Therefore, I should probably just stick to providing features to add and remove followups in sequence. :)

I'll make a note of this and should have the feature in a near future update.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

don1

• View Profile
Followups and sequences
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 09:34:55 am »
1) Users on a followup BEFORE the one added proceed as normal, receiving the new followup in turn.

2) Users on a followup AFTER the one added proceed as normal and never receive the new message.

I don't know why I didn't implement this before.  

Dean,

This is exactly what I was referring to...and this is exactly how I thought it should be implemented.

This seems basic in this form you described.  If the administrator wants other users to receive the email, the administrator can just "send an email" to the desired users.

This is the way I see it could work without a lot of code.  Hopefully you could add this feature without much difficulty.  I seem to always come up with ways to better my email followups but at this point I have to edit existing "followups"...

Please try and add this...I think many ListMailPro users could benefit from this feature...they just haven't voiced their opinions...yet.

Thanks! :D

Don

AlanT

• View Profile
    • http://www.PowerKeysPub.com
Followups and sequences
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 03:22:34 pm »
I just came up with an idea that may make this feature feasible.  Here's how it could work.

Displayed with each followup message is a button that says "Add a new followup after this one".  Clicking the button will open a followup creation screen like normal, but a set of variables are set to define what is being done.  (Things like $insertmsg=true; $insertseq=##; etc.)

When the followup message is created and the Save button is clicked, ListMail could do an update to the database to change the sequence number of all affected followups, in both the lm_follow and lm_users tables.

Something like:
If $insertmsg = true
Update lm_follow seq = seq+1 where seq => $insertseq
Update lm_users seq = seq+1 where seq => $insertseq
Endif

Im not sure of the exact coding of this, but the logic should work.  Do you agree?
- Alan

We all have the Power.
All we need are the Keys.
http://www.PowerKeysPub.com

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Followups and sequences
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:05:04 am »
This was implemented in v1.85 :D

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

don1

• View Profile
Followups and sequences
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 12:57:45 pm »
Dean,

I want to thank you again for this feature...It has made my job so much easier!!!

I use this feature all of the time.

~Don