Author Topic: Special characters in v1.89 not correct  (Read 351 times)

ad

  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:30:22 am »
Hello,
I encounter problems with german "Umlaute", like ü, ä, ö or special characterts like ß in the message body text (plain and html).
Apache Server with php 5.6.
The subject line is displayed perfectly including Umlaute. (as opposed to version 1.88)
However in plain text and html text of the message body all special characters are unreadable.
Example: "neuen Installation für UTF8"
As I said: Only in the message body, NOT in the subject line which displays "für" (correctly) instead of "für" (unreadable).

I changed the lines 78+79 in mimeclass.php replacing iso-8859-1 by utf-8 ... however this changed nothing.

In version 1.88 everything was messed up, subject line and message body text.
In version 1.89 subject line is perfect, but message body text is not correctly displayed.

Means: what has been done to have the subject line displayed correctly must be done in the same
manner for the message body text.
Then it could be usable.

Any hints?

Wolfgang

DW

  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3782
    • View Profile
    • http://listmailpro.com
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:59:31 pm »
Hi Wolfgang,

I have identified and fixed some problems with the release. Please replace your files with the ones from the zip available from the member Download page and let me know if you have any more troubles.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

ad

  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:09:17 pm »
Hi Dean,
config.php must be replaced, I assume?

WR

DW

  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3782
    • View Profile
    • http://listmailpro.com
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:11:33 pm »
Hey WR,

It's not necessary to replace config.php

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

ad

  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:36 pm »
Dean,
 ;D ;D ;D congratulations, that fixed the problem 100%.
All special characters in subject line and message body are now displayed correctly.
Many thanks!
Wolfgang

ad

  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 07:52:06 am »
Hi Dean,

seems I was too quick in judging.

I did a new installation from scratch taking your new v1.89 as released at March 9th 2018.

Installation created db tables in collation utf8_general_ci - fine.
Looking up the source code of the admin panel it says: content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1", hm.
For testing, since I already know the confusion, I used a text mixed with special charcters - ä, ö - in domail.php
Saving the text returns empty fields (as if I had not provided any input)
Reloading the message (it is nevertheless listed at the right side) it loads the message up to before the first special character, the rest is blank.
Looking up the database lm_saved it shows the input text up until before the first special character.

May it be that providing a text through a formular which is output in iso-8859-1 does just store the input in the utf8 database up to the point where the first non-utf8-encoded character shows and then it breaks?

I also notice, testing my mail server configuration, that the test email in encoded in iso-8859-1, even if I change the mimeclass.php lines 79+80 into utf-8!
This might generate more problems to come. But for now I cant advance with my installation as it already shows insufficient.

Any help would be appreciated.
Wolfgang

ad

  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 08:03:10 am »
As far as I see, the solution is to replace in admin.php line 107 iso-8859-1 by utf-8.
Now the messages are stored completely, even with special characters, and the sent email shows character set utf-8 in it's header.

Wolfgang

DW

  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3782
    • View Profile
    • http://listmailpro.com
Re: Special characters in v1.89 not correct
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 06:42:56 am »
Great, Not sure how that one slipped past me, and my browser. I'll update the distribution file.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting