Author Topic: Scheduled mail, is it working - Throttle Code  (Read 7562 times)

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Scheduled mail, is it working - Throttle Code
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 11:58:53 pm »
Unfortunately, some hosts require this type of thing.  I usually recommend that my clients go with another host so that they can deliver their many emails in a timely fashion.  You may have success using the built in timing for PHP mail(), but this isn't as efficient as SMTP (with custom throttling as you have..).
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

bookup

• View Profile
Re: Throttle code let's everything work!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 07:46:48 am »
Quote from: "webshaman"
Hi,

This is just a confirmation and for documenting that the Throttle code is REQUIRED for me to get the Bounce handling and the Removes (removals) to work properly.

I just now validated it with another list of 10,000.  That list now shows 229 removals and 130 bounces, a lot more like what I would expect.  But that sending was sent with the Throttle code (displayed above).

So, it appears the throttle code is doing something on my server setup to allow bouncing and removals to work.  

If anyone notices anything different please your findings as a reply to this message so I can get an idea of what may be going on.

My best bet is that the emails are not going out reliably without throttling.  I've suspected this in the past (I also have two lists each over 10,000) but have had no way of confirming it.

In my logic, the only reason more people would click the remove link is because more people are getting (and reading) the email.  I have had rare complaints of the removal link not working and they were all because they were typing in the wrong email address or they were already removed.  A one-click removal link would be great.  

Here's what would be even greater.  You know how some list systems generate a one pixel .jpg that is named so that the list owner can tell which individual email has been opened?  Well, forget that because it triggers spam filters.  Instead, have an optional real size .jpg (say, my company's logo or a beautiful header banner) that will serve the same purpose.

I cannot imagine the value of knowing exactly how many emails were opened!  I'd sure buy another copy or two or three for that functionality.

And now I definitely want to try the throttling code but I admit that I'm a net dweeb.  Dean even does the hosting for me, and I am at his mercy for updates and such.

Dean, if you can't put in the throttling code for me right away, can you point me in the right direction to try it myself?  (ftp account, URL, password and such)

THANKS!!  I know you get this a lot, Dean, but your product is critical to having my customers served very well.  I appreciate it.

Mike