Author Topic: Importing User List  (Read 1444 times)

mdowdy

• View Profile
Importing User List
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:29:05 am »
I have a word document with about 1,000 email addresses of users to a previous email program.  What do I need to do to that list to make it importable and how do I then import it?

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Importing User List
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:55:52 pm »
If your file contains a list of email addresses with one email per line or is in CSV format you can import it directly into ListMail on the User Database > Import page.  (Choose your list first;))

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

mdowdy

• View Profile
Importing User List
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
What is a CSV file?

steve

• View Profile
Importing User List
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 04:22:03 pm »
A .csv file is a version of an Excel file.

What you want to do is move the information from the Word document to an Excel file with no formatting, then save it as list.csv.

.csv will be one of your choices when you save the Excel document.

You'll want to get the information into Excel with one "record" per row, with columns holding specfic fields. Depending on the information you have, you may have the first name in column one (A), the last name in column two (B), and the e-mail address in column three (C).

Once you have that file set up, you can just go to the import feature in ListMail Pro... User Database > Import Users.

Browse to the file, send the file and then follow the instructions carefully. You'll want to ensure that you choose the proper options as to how ListMail will handle the current records - if there are any - in the database.

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
CSV
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 02:39:55 am »
Thanks for your help, Steve.

I would like to add that CSV is not Excel-specific.  Many programs support importing and exporting of CSV files.

The acronym CSV stands for "Comma Separated Values".  It is a text -based file you can create in Notepad or other text file editor.

A CSV file might look like this - line 1 is optional:

Code: [Select]
"First Name","Last Name","Email Address"
"Dean","Wiebe","dean@example.com"
"John","Doe","john@example.com"
"Jane","Doe","jane@example.com"

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting