Author Topic: To VPS or not?  (Read 19366 times)

paul

• View Profile
To VPS or not?
« on: November 28, 2007, 06:20:38 am »
Hey Dean and Company,

My 2 dedicated servers are starting to max out email wise.  I'm sending close to 150K emails every other day to my opt-in lists.

I was thinking of purchasing a VPS package from somebody for 1 or 2 of my lists.  Could I send to a 150K emails via VPS, once a week.  I could throttle it to send over 1-3 days, no problem.  Is that do-able?

Any recommendations on VPS hosts?

Everybody seems to love:

jaguarpc.com

at Webhostingtalk. Any experiences.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:28:50 pm by DW »

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
To VPS or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:20:14 am »
I cannot personally recommend VPSs.  I recently tried to move two clients with 10k-40k per day lists to their own respective VPS.  Both had severe problems with resources and system speed..  We were only able to achieve about 25,000 per day.  Now I have these clients on a $40/mo plan and am sharing a full dedicated between the two of them.  A VPS capable of performing as you like will run you about as much as a cheap dedicated server.  I recommend finding a rock-bottom full dedicated server deal instead of going with a VPS.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

mike2

• View Profile
To VPS or not?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:55:54 am »
Just curious as to who you are using for Dedicated servers right now...  I am considering moving away from my own T1 line and getting a dedicated machine to run my 150K daily list to...

Let me know, thanks.

paul

• View Profile
Data393
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:14:55 am »
I've been using Data393, previously Ventures Online for about 10 years now.  Their support is unreal. Usually within 10 minutes with a ticket or quick phone call.  They are bit pricey-  $349/mo. for the base package.  My servers are $550 each with RH, extra RAM, and Triple redundant backup.  

But, I have to tell you, I sleep a lot easier with them.  I haven't had downtime in about 18 months.   I had a bad drive 18 months ago, by the way they fixed that within 15 minutes without me even asking.

I love D393!

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
To VPS or not?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 02:16:23 pm »
I don't use one provider exclusively, and my clients are sometimes on others... I'm fond of:

<edited, please visit our hosting page for the latest recommendations>

For ListMail the lowest CPU should be fine but you will want 512-1GB RAM, 1GB if possible.  Such packages can sometimes be had on clearance for as low as $60/mo

Regards
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:55:31 pm by DW »
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

chufford

• View Profile
To VPS or not?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:26:34 am »
I just started using lunarpages.com.
So far so good!  :D
Chris Hufford

Marine

• SemperFi!
    • View Profile
    • http://A1-WebsiteHosting.com
Don't Use A VPS
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 04:05:43 pm »
You should stay away from a VPS for that size list,.

A VPS is a dedicated server that is shared by several VPS accounts that are usually over sold.

An example could be something like this:

The dedicated server might hold 80 GB of space with 800 GB of bandwidth.  Some hosting companies would setup VPS accounts (with a WHM/cPanel) giving customers 20 GB/Space with 200/GB of bandwidth for 2-3 times what they would sell someone for a dedicated server.

The problem is that they may setup as many 10 or more VPS accounts on that server which would be more than the server could hold.

They do this because most people that want a VPS use them for their own websites that never come close to using that much space or bandwidth, but want the freedom of having a WHM so each of their websites will have it's own cPanels, instead of add-on domains.

I've been in the web hosting business since 2001, and most of that time as a reseller until I finally got smart enough to get my own dedicated server.

If the websites in my signature aren't online, it's because I am upgrading my server, and will be back up within 24-48 hours.

I hope this helps.  If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

SemperFi,

Neil